Hormonal shifts are one of the major reasons for pimples. Pregnancy can often lead to pimples due to this reason. When you are pregnant, your body produces an excessive amount of androgens. Androgens are responsible for acne breakouts.
What is Pregnancy Acne?
During pregnancy our body naturally produces androgen. Androgens are the influencing factors for producing more oil in our sebaceous glands. When oil combined with dead skin cells and dirt clog the pores of our skin and hair follicles. The situation becomes worse when bacterial outgrowth causes infection and aggravates acne breakouts. Whiteheads, blackheads, cysts, bumps, pimples are commonly noticed on forehead and chin.
Pregnancy acne can come and go or even stay during the entire duration. In most cases, pregnancy acne is unavoidable but it can remain under control and get rid of pimples if we care for our skin little more.
How to Avoid Pregnancy Acne?
If you want to get rid of pregnancy acne then you need to pay more attention to your schedule, food habits and proper rest.
- Our body already produces more oil, therefore, it is advisable to eat less oily food. Oil control is necessary if you want to avoid pimples.
- Wash your face with mild face wash. Avoid harsh soaps and chemical infused face wash because they can dry out your skin or irritate the pimples.
- Avoid picking as it will only result in a more serious infection and spread all over your skin.
- Every time you wash your face, avoid rubbing it hard. If you already have pimples, rubbing may break the skin and spread infection.
- Wear cotton clothes because cotton is made of breathable and soft fibers. It will not irritate your skin.
- It is better if you can leave your skin without applying makeup. If it is completely unavoidable then get something that does not burn or irritate your skin, preferably herbal products.
- Sleep and rest in proper timing. Maintain your schedule because indigestion, acidity and other stomach disorders can lead to pimples.
- Do yoga and light exercises to keep your body fit. You need not try difficult exercises. Exercising and yoga will regulate hormones and increase blood flow n your cells.
- Buy Dead Sea salt and gently exfoliate to remove blackheads, dead skin cells. Regular exfoliation will keep your skin smooth and trouble free.
- Eat more vegetables. Vegetables will supply the nutrients and the fibers will keep your intestine healthy. Constipation is one of the major issues during pregnancy and it is also an indication of poor digestive system.
What to Avoid During Pregnancy?
Pregnancy, unlike any other normal situations, is a crucial time of life that requires more patience and judicious steps. Do not buy any product that claims to cure pimples without consulting with your dermatologist or a gynecologist. Avoid anything that needs you to consume because it may harm you and your baby.
It will be wise if you discuss your problems with your doctor and buy only prescribed medicine, both for application on skin and for consumption. While you may try the steps I have mentioned above throughout your pregnancy to maintain a healthy skin, you may also seek expert advice if you are suffering from serious breakouts.